Highly Specialist Speech & Language Therapist
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Speech & Language Therapy - Stroke
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Part time - 20 hours per week
- Southport Hospital
- £40,057 - £45,839 pro rata per annum
- 04/07/2022 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Are you passionate about delivering outstanding Speech & Language Therapy services in Stroke and rehabilitation and enthusiastic about making a difference? If so, you may be interested in an exciting opportunity that has arisen within our newly commissioned Early Supported Stroke Discharge Service (ESD).
The post holder will predominantly work within the ESD MDT but there will also be opportunities to support the acute Stroke and Neuro service. You will benefit from being able to apply your clinical skills in both a community and acute setting.
The ESD Service outreaches from the acute Stroke Therapy team so you will be part of a well-established and innovative MDT and a supportive inpatient Speech and Language Therapy team.
We are looking for someone who can work as a highly specialist and autonomous practitioner within the speciality of stroke care and rehabilitation. You should have strong organisational, communication and leadership skills and embrace the challenge of service development within this new service. In return we can offer both acute and community experience, regular in-service training, team meetings and supervision. We have access to videofluoroscopy (VFS) and a newly developed inpatient Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES) service.
If this post piques your interest, we would love to hear from you. We welcome informal visits but are equally happy answering any questions that you may have via telephone call or video conference call.
Main duties of the job
- To provide a highly specialist Speech and Language Therapy Service to patients of Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals NHS Trust.
- To provide specialist expert clinical support to junior staff and students.
- The post holder will demonstrate by example, and have advanced communication skills, using them to motivate, develop, guide and advance speech & language therapy skills required by the team in order to provide a high-quality responsive therapy team.
- To provide specialist assessment and management advice for patients whilst working closely with all members of the MDT.
- Accept clinical responsibility for and manage a caseload of complex cases using advanced knowledge, evidence based/client centred principles to assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions as required.
- To take part in the planning, development, delivery and evaluation of speech & language therapy services within the designated area, holding responsibility for defined projects, including the development of team outcome measures, risk assessment, documentation and operational policies in conjunction with the team leaders.
- To assist in the meeting of Therapy and Rehabilitation/Trust Objectives in relation to patient care.
Please see detailed job description for responsibilities and duties.
Working for our organisation
Southport Hospital is a small and vibrant place to work with lots of forward-thinking initiatives and projects. The Speech and Language Therapy team and Stroke MDT mirrors that ethos. We are a positive team who embrace a challenge.
Southport is a pleasant coastal town – a great place to live and work. The cities of Liverpool and Manchester are close by with great train links. The beautiful Lancashire fells and Lake District National Park are also within easy reach.
If you would like to join our Team, please submit an application form. We’d love to hear from you.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see attached Job Description for full details.
Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us on the numbers below:
Heather Duff - Clinical Therapy Manager Stroke/Neuro/ESD on 01704 705115 or email Heather.firstname.lastname@example.org
Heather Graham - Advanced/Highly Specialist SLT on 01704 704940 or email Heather.email@example.com
Advertising Date - 15th June 2022
Closing date - 4th July 2022
Shortlisting date - 5th July 2022
Proposed Interview dates - 19th July 2022
- Diploma/Degree Speech & Language Therapy or equivalent
- Current HCPC registered
- Masters level clinical courses/or equivalent
- Relevant management qualification or managerial specialist courses of equivalent
Knowledge and Experience
- Extensive clinical post-graduation experience in specialist area
- Experience of working with multi professional groups involved in the care of patients
- Operational management, development and supervision of junior staff, students and therapy assistants
- Experience of working with Videofluoroscopy
- Experience of developing services
Skills & Abilities
- Able to work well with others and pass on skills and knowledge
- Initiate evidence based practice within the clinical setting and develop local care pathways
- Committed to personal and departmental development
- To manage working in a highly pressured work environment that is busy and maintain excellent working relationships with the MDT
- Ability to fulfil the travel requirements of the post
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Heather Duff
- Job title
- Clinical Therapy Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01704 705115
- Additional information
Clinical Therapy Manager (Stroke/Neuro/ESD)
Working days - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday