Speech & Language Therapist - Stroke/Neuro
NHS AfC: Band 6
- Speech and Language
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Southport and Ormskirk
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- 05/07/2022 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic individual interested in further developing their speech & language therapy skills within the specialist area of stroke/neuro and rehabilitation.
This post will consist of working in the established acute/rehab stroke service but will also provide opportunities to support the newly commissioned Early Supported Discharge (ESD) Stroke Service as well. The post holder will work closely with the integrated stroke multidisciplinary team and the Speech & Language Therapy department. The Stroke Therapy Service is a well-established, friendly, and supportive MDT.
You will benefit from being able to apply your clinical skills in both a community and acute setting. We are committed to supporting the ongoing personal and professional development of our staff and offer excellent development opportunities. We also offer Practice Placements to SLT students in the Northwest.
We are looking for someone who can work as a specialist, autonomous Speech & Language Therapist within the speciality of stroke care and rehabilitation. You should have strong organisational, communication and leadership skills and embrace the challenge of service development. In return we can offer both acute and community experience.
If this post piques your interest, we would love to hear from you. We welcome informal visits but are equally happy answering any questions that you may have via telephone call or video conference call.
Main duties of the job
The Stroke Unit at Southport Hospital has 20 beds, with a mixture of acute and rehabilitation patients. The ethos is patient-centred and goals-driven with a strong MDT focus.
We work in partnership with the Cheshire and Mersey Integrated Stroke Delivery Network. We also work closely with our neighbouring Community Speech and Language Therapy colleagues to ensure continuity of care for our patients.
Working for our organisation
Southport Hospital is a small and vibrant place to work with lots of forward-thinking initiatives and projects. The Speech and Language Therapy team mirrors that ethos. We are a positive team who embrace a challenge.
Southport is a pleasant coastal town – a great place to live and work. The cities of Liverpool and Manchester are close by with great train links. The beautiful Lancashire fells and Lake District National Park are also within easy reach.
If you would like to join our Team, please submit an application form. We’d love to hear from you.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see attached for detailed job description and main responsibilities.
Main duties of the job
- To provide a Speech and Language Therapy Service to patients of Southport & Ormskirk Hospital, within the speciality.
- Manage own clinical caseload.
- Provide assistance for the Therapy and Rehabilitation Services in delivering the required range of therapeutic interventions and support to the client group.
- Undertake assessment, treatment and evaluation of treatment and intervention.
- Participate in audit and service development.
- Accurately record, obtain, collate, and maintain patient records both manually and electronically.
- Educate and train other health professionals including nurses and doctors with support from more Senior Therapists
- Participate in the supervision of student therapists on clinical placement and for work experience students and Therapy Assistants
Advertising date - 15th June 2022
Closing date - 4th July 2022
Shortlist date - 5th July 2022
Proposed Interview date - 19th July 2022
- Degree in SLT
- HCPC registration
- Evidence of relevant post-graduate courses/CPD
- fieldwork/practice educator qualification
Knowledge & Experience
- Post qualification & NHS experience in specialist field
- Membership/participant of relevant Special Interest group
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work autonomously independently and with MDT
- Excellent time management, prioritisation skills and self management
- Ability to delegate appropriately and supervise junior staff
- effective teaching and presentation skills
- Physically able to fulfill physical activites/duties
- Ability to fulfill the travel requirements of the post
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Heather Duff
- Job title
- Clinical Therapy Manager
- Telephone number
- 01704 7045115
- Additional information
If you would like to discuss this fabulous opportunity or to arrange an informal visit please contact -
Health Duff, Clinical Therapy Manager - email@example.com /