Physicians Associate - General Surgery
- General Surgery
- Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £38,890 - £44,503 Per annum
- 25/04/2021 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Please note that all successful applicants to non-medical positions will be subject to a six-month probationary period.
General Surgery – Surgical Assessment Unit
This is an excellent opportunity for qualified Physician Associates to gain wide ranging experience. We will consider applicants who have just completed their diploma as well as candidates who have completed their intern year.
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital is an enthusiastic adopter of the Physician Associate role and we are looking to appoint 1 Associate in General Surgery – Surgical Assessment Unit.
Applicants will be required to register on the Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA) Managed Voluntary Register (FPMVR) before commencement of employment. Additionally they must hold, or will do so on completion, a PG Diploma in Physician Associate Studies from a recognised University and have passed the UK Physician Associate National Exam, or equivalent for internationally trained applicants.
Main duties of the job
The Successful candidate will undergo an induction programme and be supported and mentored in the development of their clinical practice. They will be allocated an educational supervisor to support them to develop a professional portfolio and will be offered CPD, study leave support, and teaching time. In addition to working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, they will have the opportunity to become involved in audit/research and teaching.
Joining the current Physician Associates in the trust, the successful applicant will help develop these roles within our organisation. Following satisfactory completion of the Physician Associate intern year and acquisition of the required competencies, there will be opportunities for progression to band 7 post to develop more specialist skills.
This post will be subject to an Enhanced DBS .
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
The Trust provides a range of local hospital services across its two main sites at Southport and Ormskirk including Supra Regional Spinal Injuries Unit. The Trust is proud to have been awarded University Clinical Education Centre by the University of Liverpool in recognition of the high standards of training provided for students on placements with the Trust.
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk and District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see job description and person specification for further information
Advertising Date: 30th March, 2021
Closing Date: 25th April, 2021
Shortlisting Date: w/c 26th April, 2021
Interview Date: 20th May, 2021
- Member of Faculty of Physician Associates which includes registration with the UK Managed Voluntary Registry
- Relevant first BA/BSC degree prior to undertaking PA programme
- Post graduate Diploma in Physician Associate studies from UK training programme or equivalent
- Current certification of Physician Associate National Exam or National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Evidence of relevant ongoing personal and professional development
- Additional clinical qualification and registration – Nurse, radiographers etc. that would allow study for Non-Medical Prescribing
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience of managing complex workloads and prioritisation
- Knowledge of clinical procedures and medical terminology
- Knowledge to undertake a structured clinical assessment
- High degree of understanding of confidentiality
- Experience of working in a clinical environment prior to undertaking PA training
Skills & Abilities
- Clear written and oral communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Good IT skills – to use Microsoft office and clinical systems including EPR
- Strong and positive role model Ability to manage and lead teams
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a high degree of tact
- Ability to pioneer a new role and resilience to be part of the development of these new roles within the Trust for positive service change
- Commitment to excellence in patient care
- Caring and compassionate
- Ability to exercise sound judgements when faced with conflicting pressures
- Ability to influence others around positive change in clinical practice
- Ability to interpret and implement policies
- An enquiring and critical approach to work
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Paul Ainsworth
- Job title
- Clinical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01704 704253