Consultant Clinical Academic Care of Older People Physician
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Elderly Care Medicine
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Permanent: 10 PAs + additional PAs for on-call
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- £82,096 - £110,683 Medical & Dental Payscale (NHS Consultant Contract 2003)
- 20/08/2021 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
This role provides a unique opportunity, arising from a partnership between Southport & Ormskirk NHS Trust and Edge Hill University. The successful candidate will work as Consultant Clinical Academic Care of Older People Physician, as well as conducting teaching and research at the Medical School within the Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine at Edge Hill University.
In addition, you will make a significant contribution to the design and planning of the curriculum within the area of expertise, as well as developing the research profile and creating strong working relationships at the vibrant and growing Medical School at Edge Hill University.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will
- Carry out inpatient older peoples care ward and board rounds.
- Ensure that Expected Discharge Dates are set on admission for inpatients.
- Take a lead role development and implementation of the local integrated frailty pathway. There is a frailty team in place and with the post holder’s support the aim is to develop this team further. The post-holder will be integral in developing a multi-disciplinary work force model and supporting the MDT in their development needs.
- Help integrate care between acute and community settings.
- Support delivery of national targets (18 weeks, 62-day cancer, new to follow up ratios, length of stay)
- Provide training and supervision to junior doctors.
- Provide training and support to specialist frailty practitioners.
- Participate in rolling teaching programme.
- Engage fully in consultant appraisal with a view to achieving revalidation.
Working for our organisation
The job plan will include 1.5 core SPAs to cover CME, audit, appraisal, and
revalidation, and 0.5 for supervision of trainees. The job plan will be reviewed within 6 months of commencing in post and, if given additional duties requiring SPA time, these would be allocated appropriately to a maximum of 2.5 sessions.
About Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust
Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire. The Trust provides a range of local hospital services across its two main sites ranging from adults and children’s A&E, Intensive Care and a range of medical and surgical specialties, women’s and children’s services, consultant led Maternity Care as well as its adult community health services. We also host the Northwest Spinal Injuries’ Centre.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The Trust is looking towards the future with plans underway to re-shape the healthcare economy and deliver a truly integrated healthcare system that will meet the needs of the population in the future. This vision aligns with the Edge Hill Medical School and supports the emerging partnership between the two organisations. The successful applicant will bring expertise to both organisations and help to shape the direction of diabetes care in Sefton and West Lancashire.
We offer excellent staff benefits to all clinical and non-clinical staff, and can offer you flexible working, in house education programs, annual personal development plans and development opportunities. Striving for continuous improvement and passionate about Excellent, Long Life Integrated Care, we are recruiting staff who can demonstrate our organizational values of Supportive, Caring, Open & Honest, Professional and Efficient to ensure we deliver the best patient care.
About Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University is an ambitious institution, based on an attractive, award-winning 160-acre campus in Lancashire, close to Liverpool and Manchester. The University aspires to combine excellent research of reach and significance with a world-class student experience, and is ranked as Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
About Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine
Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine at Edge Hill University is one of the leading providers of education to the health and social care workforce in the region, with a growing national and international research profile. It has excellent relationships with external health and social care providers, which ensures that its work is of direct relevance to, and impacts positively on, the rapidly changing medical/clinical education environment.
Edge Hill University Medical School (EHUMS) sits within the Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine and is one of only five new medical schools in England, established after a rigorous competitive bidding process as part of the government's expansion of undergraduate medical training places. The Medical School welcomed its first cohort of MBChB students in 2020 with a Foundation Year for Medicine, to support widening access to a career in medicine for local students, which started in 2019. The MBChB has a focus on understanding local healthcare needs and challenges and has a novel curriculum. Within the Medical School we have a wide range of postgraduate programmes in areas including Physician Associate Studies, Advanced Clinical Practice, Master of Surgery, Master of Medicine and a suite of programmes in postgraduate medical education and clinical leadership. The Medical School is a vibrant and rapidly growing School with an evolving staff body, many of who are clinically and/or research active. Developing its research profile and scholarly activity is a key focus for the School.
Advertising date: TBC
Closing date: TBC
Shortlisting dates: TBC
Interview Date - TBC
- M.R.C.P. or equivalent
- GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- HE Teaching qualification, or commitment to achieve one within two years of appointment
- MSc, MD or PhD
- Knowledge and experience of Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Extensive training and experience in Diabetes and Endocrinology in an accredited training programme.
Management / Audit
- Participation in Clinical Audit
- Evidence of service development
- Ability to contribute to significant elements of academic programmes within the area of expertise
- Able to lead research projects
- Ability to engage in academic and professional networking through active membership of associations, societies and professional bodies.
- Research expertise and a track record of success
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Ashar Ahmed
- Job title
- Clinical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01704 547471
- Additional information
Please contact Dr Ashar Ahmed ( Clinical Director) via firstname.lastname@example.org or Clare Austin (Associate Dean - Research and Innovation) Austincl@edgehill.ac.uk