Assistant Director of Integrated Governance
NHS AfC: Band 8b
- Clinical Governance
- NHS AfC: Band 8b
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Southport District General Hospital
- £53,168 - £62,001 per annum
- 20/04/2021 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Please note that all successful applicants to non-medical positions will be subject to a six-month probationary period.
Are you passionate about clinical governance and risk management? A strategic thinker with extensive experience of adapting to the ever-evolving regulatory agenda in a clinical governance context?
Then Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust would love to hear from you.
We are delighted to be able to offer an opportunity for a highly motivated, ambitious individual to join our team and take on the role of Assistant Director of Integrated Governance.
Main duties of the job
It’s an exciting time to join the Integrated Governance team as we look to shape the clinical governance agenda for the future. This role is pivotal to enhancing and developing high standards of clinical governance to support quality and safety through leading incident response management, Complaints, PALS, Legal Services, Clinical Audit and Effectiveness.
Working closely with Senior Leaders across the Trust, the successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of clinical governance and their continuous improvement.
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will be an integral senior leader within the Trust and will provide senior management and leadership to the Integrated Governance Team, which includes Risk, Complaints/PALS, Claims and Inquests, and Clinical Audit/Effectiveness.
Ensure a comprehensive, integrated and assured approach to all aspects of Quality Governance services by leading the development and implementation of the Trust Clinical Governance and Risk Management Strategies.
The post holder will be responsible for the development and implementation of Trust-wide Clinical Governance strategies, including Risk Management, Complaints and PALS, Legal Services and Clinical Audit/Effectiveness.
Working with the Executive Director of Nursing, Midwifery and Therapies, and Medical Director the post holder will ensure that the Trust consistently meets and delivers against relevant statutory and legal requirements and responsibilities.
Deputise for the Deputy Director of Quality, Risk and Assurance as needed.
- Masters Degree in a related field such as clinical qualification, risk management, governance or equivalent level of experience in governance and risk management
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
Knowledge and Experience
- Considerable management experience at a senior level in a healthcare setting, including staff management
- Highly developed specialist knowledge and experience of Quality Governance Agenda in Healthcare
- Knowledge and experience of Risk Management Standards relevant to the NHS
- Experience of delivering educational and skills-based training in Risk Management
- Experience of advising and liaising with staff at all levels of the organisation, and externally to the organisation
- Experience of delivering compliance with Regulatory Standards for Clinical Governance in Healthcare
- Evidence of liaison and partnership working with service users / carers, members of the public and a wide range of stakeholders
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to determine required actions from highly complex facts or situations requiring analysis, interpretation and comparison of a range of options
- Ability to communicate and receive highly complex, sensitive or contentious information to staff at all levels, including to large groups
- Change management skills and the ability to overcome organisational cultural and professional barriers to change
- The skills to develop strategies and organise a broad range of complex and competing activities.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence, negotiate and defuse conflict situations
- Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to work autonomously and to tight deadlines
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Simon Regan
- Job title
- Deputy Director of Quality, Risk and Assurance
- Telephone number
- 01704 704057
- Additional information
Via PA on 01704 704057 (Ext: 4057)