Speech & Language Therapist
NHS AfC: Band 6
- Band 6 Speech and Language
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- 12 months (Fixed term)
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week
- Southport and Ormskirk
- £31,365 - £37,890 per annum
- 04/03/2021 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Please note that all successful applicants to non-medical positions will be subject to a six-month probationary period.
This is a fabulous opportunity to join a small, well established team of Speech and Language Therapists for a fixed 12 month contract (maternity leave cover ending April 2022) at Southport District General Hospital.
We are looking for an experienced Speech & Language Therapist who is confident and independent in working with acquired dysphagia. Ideally you should also be competent to undertake videofluoroscopies with support from other team members, but we would definitely consider an application from you if you do not currently have this competency.
Southport Hospital is a small and vibrant place to work with lots of forward thinking initiatives and projects. The Speech and Language Therapy Team mirrors that ethos. We are a positive team who embrace a challenge.
If you’d like to sample life at the sea side and would like to join our Hospital Speech and Language Therapy Team, please submit an application form
Main duties of the job
1. To provide a Speech and Language Therapy Service to inpatients at Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals.
2. The post holder will manage their own clinical caseload.
3. To provide assistance for the Therapy and Rehabilitation Services in delivering the required range of therapeutic interventions and support to the client group.
4. To undertake assessment, treatment and evaluation of treatment and intervention.
5. To participate in audit and service development.
6. To accurately record, obtain, collate, and maintain patient records both manually and electronically.
7. To educate and train other health professionals including nurses and doctors with support from more Senior Therapists
8. To participate in the supervision of student therapists on clinical placement and for work experience students and Therapy Assistants.
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Southport & Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust is a progressive NHS Trust. It is committed to providing and developing innovative high quality services to the communities that it serves.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
We are responsible for the assessment and management of medical / surgical patients with acquired dysphagia throughout the hospital. (not including patients who have had a stroke - these patients are seen by a separate Speech and Language Therapy Team)
Please see job description for full details of role responsibilities.
Date Advertised: 18th February, 2021
Date Advert Close: 4th March 2021
Date of Interviews: w/c 15th March, 2021
Please note, this post will be subject to Enhanced DBS Check + Adults' Barred List.
- Degree in SLT
- HCPC registration
- Evidence of relevant post-graduate courses/CPD
- fieldwork/practice educator qualification
Knowledge & Experience
- Post qualification & NHS experience in specialist field
- Membership/participant of relevant Special Interest group
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work autonomously independently and with MDT
- Excellent time management, prioritisation skills and self management
- Ability to delegate appropriately and supervise junior staff
- effective teaching and presentation skills
- Physically able to fulfill physical activites/duties
- Ability to fulfill the travel requirements of the post
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Liz Jones
- Job title
- Highly Specialist SLT
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
If you would like to discuss this 12 month opportunity, please contact Liz Jones, Team Lead for Medical Surgical S< on 01704 547471 bleep 3933.