NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Advanced Practitioner
- NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £47,126 - £53,219 per annum
- 05/11/2021 08:00
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Please note that all successful applicants to non-medical positions will be subject to a six-month probationary period.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Advanced Practitioner (ACP / ANP) to join our Ambulatory Care Team.
The successful applicant will have an MSc in Advanced Practice, to include the core modules of Clinical Assessment / Diagnostics, and Non-Medical Prescribing (NMP). As a senior decision maker you will have supervisory commitments to Trainee ACPs who may be working in the department, and will receive clinical support through our Acute Physicians. You will also have direct support from a dedicated Matron and Directorate Manager.
Main duties of the job
Our Ambulatory service currently runs Monday - Friday from a dedicated area. They take patients who have attended ED, direct referrals from primary care as well as NWAS. In addition, we run a dedicated hot clinic that includes patients who may have recently been discharged from hospital who require timely follow up, and we have a virtual ward for patients awaiting tests who may not need to return to hospital for their results. We are committed to our engagement with the Shaping Care Together programme to ensure that we are delivering patient centred care closer to home in full collaboration with our system partners. This is an ideal time for you to join our team and allow your clinical skills and expertise to shape the future of our service.
Working for our organisation
Our aim is to ensure that patients are seen at the right time, in the right place, by the right clinician to ensure that they receive high quality, safe and compassionate care.
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Support the clinical management of patients encompassing the initial assessment and subsequent care in the appropriate area, ward or department.
- Actively support patients and their families through communicating difficult and highly complex information using a variety of methods to ensure effective understanding in a timely manner
- Communicates complex information to patients/carers during the consent process prior to commencement of treatment plans and invasive and non-invasive procedures including explaining treatment options
- Proactively supports patients and carers in coming to terms with their illness/condition
5. Provide a professional portfolio of skills including clinical assessment, basic diagnosis, treatments and advanced practical skills.
- Ensures effective communication is maintained between members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure appropriate individuals are informed of changes to the patient’s conditions or treatment plan
- Provides empathy and reassurance through understanding the quality of life issues associated with their illness/condition
8. Develop a high level of complex decision making in relation to the assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of patient care.
9. Provide professional leadership and support within a multi-professional team
- Monitor and promote high standards of care and documentation
- To diffuse potential complaints and hostile situations with staff, patients and carers using highly developed negotiation and interpersonal skills
12. Provide follow up and specialised supportive advice as required for all members of the multi professional team caring for patients discharged to a variety of other settings
13. Develop a locally approved formulary and prescribe within agreed limits under supervision.
14. Work in collaboration with the multi professional team to promote quality care, participating in audit and assisting in developing unit protocols and practice.
15. Facilitate effective communication and handover within the multi-professional team and ensure patients and their families are appropriately involved and informed.
16. Support and assist with training of the multi professional team as they are inducted to the specialty
17. Gather, analyse and report a wide range of data and information.
- Acts as a role model and an expert resource for patients and staff throughout the Trust
- Supports the Consultants, Intensive care /Anaesthetic Registrars and other Doctors, in providing patients with treatment plans within the specialty
- Performs invasive and non-invasive and complex specialist procedures relevant to the and makes recommendations for treatment.
- Participates in service development. Writes protocols, guidelines and procedures for own remit which, impacts on other members of multi-disciplinary team. Develops and evaluates these protocols and guidelines and procedures using current literature and research.
Advert Date: Wednesday 13th October
Closing Date: Wednesday 27th October
Shortlisting Date: Thursday 29th October
Interview Date: w/c 8th November
- Non-Medical Prescribing (NMP)
- MSc Advanced Practice
- Registered health professional
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Jane Lason
- Job title
- Matron Emergency Care
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Dr K Wahdati - Acute Physician and Ambulatory Lead