Speciality Doctor Emergency Medicine
- Accident and Emergency
- Specialty Doctor
- Full time - 6 sessions per week (6 PAs)
- Southport District General Hospital
- £39,467 - £77,519 Per annum (pro rata)
- 30/06/2022 08:00
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Speciality Doctor Adult and Paediatric Emergency Medicine
Applications are invited to join a friendly and supportive Emergency Departments working across Adult and Paediatric ED with the aim to provide high quality care to all patients attending the departments.
This position is based at both Southport District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital
Advert Date- 23rd June 2022
Closing Date - 30th June 2022
Shortlisting Date- 1st July 2022
Interview Date - 12th July 2022
Main duties of the job
The duties include, and are not limited to:
- undertaking assessment of patients attending the ED departments making decisions on treatment
- ensuring timely and accurate treatment plans for patients are actioned and appropriate referrals to specialties when admission is required;
- liaising with other departments across the hospital as well as services located in the community
- participating in the teaching and supervision of the work and duties of junior doctors in training
- assisting in the compilation, checking and analysis of data for medical audits
- participating on the Tier 2 rota working across Adult and Paediatric ED
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire.
Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. This includes adults’ and children’s accident and emergency services, intensive care and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Women’s and children’s services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The Adult Emergency Department sees over 50,000 patients per year and the Paediatric Emergency Department sees approximately 28,000 patients a year.
Both sites have a mix of Specialty Doctors, Emergency Medicine ST3-6s, Clinical Fellows as well as GPVTS and F2s. In addition to this there are Advance Nurse Practitioners, Physician Associates and Emergency Nurse Practitioners
The Adult Emergency Department has 25 majors cubicles, 4 resus cubicles, a dedicated isolation room, a mental health room, as well as an 8 trolley Clinical Decisions Unit.
The Paediatric Department includes the dedicated Children's Accident & Emergency Department with a 4 bedded Assessment Bay, a 16 -bedded in-patient ward 1 HDU bed and a 6-bed day case unit including facilities for adolescents.
- Full registration with the medical council and licensed to practice
- MB ChB, MBBS
- MRCPCH/ FRCEM Primary/ Intermediate/ MRCEM
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 2 years at Tier 1 level
- Minimum 12 months experience in Paediatrics or Emergency Medicine
- Must have experience of managing acute patients
- Basic Paediatric Life Support Skills
- Ability to work unsupervised
Skills and abilities
- Proven Ability to Teach
- Commitment to teaching and supervision of junior staff
- Evidence of Multi-Disciplinary team working
- Experience and evidence of Audit, Research and Quality Improvement
- Completed Audit Topic and Research Publication
- Willingness to seek timely assistance from senior colleagues when appropriate
- Good personal and interpersonal skills
- Up to date knowledge of the changing NHS structure and Hospital based services
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Mike Aisbitt
- Job title
- Clinical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01704 704123
- Additional information
Dr Mike Aisbitt - 01704 704123