Consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care
- Full time - 11 sessions per week (11 PA's)
- 347- 4294096
- Southport and Ormskirk
- £84,559 - £114,003 per annum, pro rata
- 21/07/2022 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
Consultant Anaesthetist - ITU
Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust
£84,559 - £114,003 ,per annum (plus on-call allowance)
Main duties of the job
We are looking to recruit dynamic individuals, whose clinical leadership abilities will help shape the future direction of the clinical service provision within the trust and within this nationally award-winning critical care unit, that has been rated as Good by the CQC.
The successful candidates will join a multidisciplinary team including consultants from anaesthetic and medical backgrounds and will be encouraged to develop areas of interest, such as bedside echo and ultrasonography on the critical care unit and to advance anaesthetic services as their job plan allows.
The Critical Care Unit is currently based on the Southport and Formby District General Hospital site, providing Level 2 and 3 care for a general ICU population. The unit is currently constituted as 14 critical care bed spaces. There is also a 4-bedded POCCU area within the critical care footprint, managed jointly with the anaesthetic department to provide peri operative care for major lower bowel surgery on an enhanced recovery pathway. The Unit was awarded the Nursing Times award for the Best Acute Care team in 2020 and were shortlisted again in 2021 and were awarded the “Clinical Team of the Year” in 2020 from the Trust.
Working for our organisation
Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust serves a population of over 250,000 in North Sefton and West Lancashire. There are excellent road links to the Lake District, North Wales and the Trough of Bowland. Southport is located in the heart of the Golf Coast of England, adjacent to the Royal Birkdale and Hillside golf courses, and close to the award-winning Merchant Taylors’ School.
The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
The Trust also provides sexual health services for the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The trust is looking to expand its elective surgical capacity and following appointment of a new senior management team, is looking to deliver clinical services fit for the 21st century. In keeping with this vision of aspiring to deliver excellence, the trust is actively canvassing to reconfigure the current service provision, so all acute services are delivered from a single site.
On call duties currently include providing anaesthetic services for emergency surgery, maternity, paediatric emergencies for stabilisation and transfer, ICU cover on a 1 in 8 basis.
All applicants must be either on the GMC Specialist Register or be within six months of obtaining their CCT award at the time of interview.
The Trust is happy to consider flexible working arrangements and extended days to deliver a desirable work life balance, support professional goals and personal development.
The Departments of Anaesthesia and Critical Care consist of 18 Consultants, 1 Associate Specialist, 17 Specialty Doctors, 6 anaesthetic, 1 ACCS and 2 Internal Medical Core trainees. In addition, the departments have 2 ACCPs, 3 Clinical Fellows and 4 Anaesthesia Associates. Both departments continue to work collaboratively and closely to ensure the wellbeing of the staff, as well as resilience of services delivered.
Advert date: 22/06/2022
Closing date: 21/07/2022
Shortlisting date: TBC
Interview date: August 2022 (exact date TBC)
- Full registration with General Medical Council and Licence to Practice
- MB ChB or equivalent.
- FRCA or equivalent.
- Inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register or within six months of receiving CCT at the time of interview.
- Fellowship of Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (FFICM) or eligible for FFICM, or equivalent
- MD/MSc or equivalent
Clinical Knowledge &Training
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience of working in anaesthesia within the NHS
- Advanced Training in ICM or equivalent
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in General, urological, gynaecological surgery and Obsetetics
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Ability to stabilise and provide initial management of the critically ill and/or emergency anaesthetic patient.
- Current ALS Provider
- Joint or Dual CCT in ICM and Anaesthesia
- 6-month attachment for Higher Training in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Knowledge, skills and/ or experience of developing a maternal critical care service
- Focused Intensive Care Echo (FICE) accreditation
- Current APLS Provider
Management/ Leadership / Audit
- Understanding of NHS management and leadership responsibilities of a consultant.
- Evidence of active and consistent engagement with clinical audit and/ or QIP(s)
- Good IT and computing skills.
- Completion of appropriate management/ leadership course(s)
- Previous participation in a management/ leadership role.
- Recognition by the GMC as a Clinical Supervisor
- Evidence of delivering teaching to undergraduate students, postgraduate doctors and/ or allied healthcare professionals
- Recognition by the GMC as an Educational Supervisor
- Formal training/ qualification in Teaching and/or Learning
- Life support course instructor
- Evidence of recent and current research, with relevant publications.
- Formal training in Research Methodology
- Knowledge of the up-to-date literature
- Membership of appropriate professional society (ies). Knowledge of the up-to-date literature.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, approachability and ability to motivate and develop others
- Ability to lead change and the development of services and promote excellence and best practice
- Caring and responsible attitude to colleagues
- Ability to travel between sites within service requirements
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Lesley Enright
- Job title
- Operational Service Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01695 656152
- Additional information
Arrangements to visit the hospital and informal enquiries may be made directly to Dr S Kehinde, Clinical Director - 01695 656152
Please note such visits do not form part of the interview process.