- Full time: 11 sessions per week (11 PA's)
- Southport and Ormskirk
- £82,096 - £110,683 per annum
- 14/12/2020 23:59
Working for Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust offers all the benefits of coast and country living with the convenience of big city life.
We have miles of unspoilt coastline on our doorstep, attractive commuter towns, picturesque villages and stunning countryside all within easy reach. Excellent transport links mean the vibrant, historic city of Liverpool is only a short journey away. Shops, bars, restaurants, museums, galleries, a World Heritage listed waterfront and, of course, two Premiership football teams makes this a destination for travellers from across the world.
The University of Liverpool has awarded us the status of University Clinical Education Centre in recognition of the high standard of training provided for students on placement to the Trust.
We pride ourselves in providing safe, clean and friendly care, and recruit to our SCOPE values. We also offer a range of family friendly options to staff.
We are looking to recruit an anaesthetist and intensivist, whose clinical leadership abilities will help shape the future direction of the clinical service provision within the trust. There is a full-time general post, with a range of surgical specialty interests including colo-rectal surgery, trauma and orthopaedics, general surgery, gynaecology, urology and day-case ENT.
Main duties of the job
The trust is looking to expand its elective surgical capacity and following appointment of a new senior management team, is looking to deliver clinical services fit for the 21st century. In keeping with this vision of aspiring to deliver excellence, the trust is actively canvassing to reconfigure the current service provision, so all clinical services are on a single site, rather than the current 2 site model.
On call duties currently include providing anaesthetic services for emergency surgery, maternity, paediatric emergencies for stabilisation and transfer, ICU cover on a 1 in 8 basis.
All applicants must be either on the GMC Specialist Register or be within six months of obtaining their CCT award at the time of interview.
Working for our organisation
You will be joining an enthusiastic Anaesthetic Team. The Department of Anaesthesia consists of 19 Consultants, 3 Associate Specialists, 13 Specialty Doctors, 3 ST3’s, 8 core trainees including ACCS trainee providing an Anaesthetic service to the Trust which is based on two main sites at Southport & Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. The trainee feedback both locally and via the GMC survey over the last 2 years had shown we provide excellent training for junior trainees.
The Trust is happy to consider flexible working arrangements and extended days to deliver a desirable work life balance, support professional goals and personal development.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see individual job description and person specification for more details
Advert date: 16th November, 2020
Closing date: 14th December, 2020
Shortlisting date: 15th December, 2020
AAC Panel: w/c 1st February, 2021
- Full registration with General Medical Council and Licence to Practice
- MB ChB or equivalent.
- FRCA or equivalent.
- Inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register or within six months of receiving CCT at the time of interview.
- MD/MSc or equivalent
- Fellowship of Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (FFICM) or eligible for FFICM, or equivalent
Clinical Knowledge &Training
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience of working in pain medicine/ anaesthesia within the NHS
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in General Duties, including the following non-essential Units of Training: General, urological and gynaecological surgery
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in General Duties, including the following non-essential Units of Training: Obstetrics
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Successful completion of Higher Training, or equivalent, in intensive care medicine.
- Evidence of advanced training, or equivalent, preferably in at least one of the General Duties Units of Training.
- Ability to stabilise and provide initial management of the critically ill and/or emergency anaesthetic patient.
- Current ALS Provider
- Ability to manage respiratory and cardiac arrest in adults and children
- Current PLS/ APLS Provider
- Advanced training or equivalent in Obstetric anaesthesia
- Advanced training or equivalent in general, urological and gynaecological surgery
- 6-month attachment for Higher Training in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- Knowledge, skills and/ or experience of developing a maternal critical care service
Management/ Leadership / Audit
- Understanding of NHS management and leadership responsibilities of a consultant.
- Evidence of active and consistent engagement with clinical audit and/ or QIP(s)
- Good IT and computing skills.
- Completion of appropriate management/ leadership course(s)
- Previous participation in a management/ leadership role.
- Recognition by the GMC as a Clinical Supervisor
- Evidence of delivering teaching to undergraduate students, postgraduate doctors and/ or allied healthcare professionals
- Recognition by the GMC as an Educational Supervisor
- Formal training/ qualification in Teaching and/or Learning
- Life support course instructor
- Evidence of recent and current research, with relevant publications.
- Formal training in Research Methodology
- Membership of appropriate professional society (ies). Knowledge of the up-to-date literature.
- Knowledge of the up-to-date literature.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, approachability and ability to motivate and develop others
- Ability to lead change and the development of services and promote excellence and best practice
- Caring and responsible attitude to colleagues
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Julie Bourke
- Job title
- Directorate Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Arrangements to visit the hospital and informal enquiries may be made directly to Dr S Kehinde, Clinical Director via his secretary on 01704 704201.
Please note such visits do not form part of the interview process.